
This picture is clearly of Ellie's clothes. The funny part is that this is the way she lays them out every morning before she gets dressed. It is a ritual that she will not do without - she calls it "ranging (arranging) them up".
We've had a great weekend. Friday night Ellie helped me get groceries while Brant mowed the yard. We love getting all of the chores out of the way on Friday's so we can spend the rest of the weekend doing fun stuff.
Saturday night the three of us went to the Padres game, courtesy of Senomyx. The seats are fantastic, and the park wasn't very crowded. Ellie had a great time, although I'm not sure she watched even 30 seconds of the actual game. She was more interested in whatever we were getting to eat, and playing with the seats that folded up on their own. We left in the 7th inning when it was clear that she was headed for a melt down. Good thing too, because the game went to 16 innings! Can you imagine staying for the whole game? No thank you!





So the title of this post is "The Switch". The switch I am referring to is the one that happens inside my precious little girl's brain. When she switches from the most loving and caring little person I've ever met, saying "I love you Momma. I love your pink shirt. Thank you for making me a delicious dinner. Daddy - you're so handsome! I want to be just like Daddy!" to a child who throw tantrums that are not only frustrating, but quite often, scary. Meal times are almost always a disaster. The mere mention of getting her into her highchair evokes tears, stomping and defiance. Once we've corralled her into the chair and gotten the bib on (often after spending time in the corner first) she then plays with her food and drink. Tonight took the cake. We were having turkey burgers and corn on the cob. She only wanted the corn, but we told her she had to take a few bites of the turkey burger first. So she peeled the top bun off the burger, ate a few bites, then hurled it across the table. Yes - my child threw food. Brant was desperately trying not to laugh. I was stunned - I can't imagine ever doing something like that as a kid. I'm not claiming innocence, don't get me wrong. But I feared my parents as if they held my life in their hands and wouldn't have dreamed of throwing food. Now, in all fairness, I probably can't remember being 3. So, she got her hands wiped up, and was put in her crib for 5 minutes. The screams that came from her room were unmatchable. The fury in her voice - screaming "Come back here now! I want out of this crib! Now! I said come back here!" Ellie is definitely exploring her temperamental side...we have no idea where she could have gotten that from. When we get her from the crib and bring her back into the kitchen, she's super sweet again. I just don't understand. I know she's testing the boundaries, but really? Throwing food? That's over the top for this household.
The tickets have been purchased, and Brant and Ellie will be headed to Arkansas in a couple of weeks. I'll be staying here to work, take care of Daisy, and tend to the tomato plants (we can't let them die this year!) I know they'll have a great time, and most likely we'll all head back for another visit at either Thanksgiving or Christmastime this year.
Have a good week everyone!
No comments:
Post a Comment