Tuesday, March 6, 2012
Visit from Arkansas
Ellie and Rhett are lucky to have family that loves to travel...especially since they love to travel to see the kids. In February we had a visit from Grannie, Pappy, Aunt Dana and most importantly, Nana. We had tons of fun, and I'm hoping (hint, hint) that someone will send me pictures because Brant and I didn't seem to get any. I know there were pictures taken, but none are in our possession.
Ellie spent a day all alone with Nana...they walked up to the Big Kitchen for breakfast, went to So Childish, Progress, and of course the Daily Scoop for ice cream on the way home. Ellie always enjoys the one on one time she gets to spend with Nana! She also got to tag along with the group to several garage sales on Saturday morning before her gymnastics class. Everyone went along to watch Ellie's class, and of course that was the day they had a fire drill in the middle of class. Rhett and I were already outside on the playground, so Ellie's class just moved outside and continued as best they could. By the time the lesson was over (we got to go back inside within 5 minutes), everyone had worked up an appetite and headed to The Station for lunch. And then of course Grannie wanted to go to her favorite store, The Grove, so that's where everyone headed. It's also right next to the Daily Scoop...ice cream for everyone! Brant and I are so glad that our families enjoy the neighborhood we live in. We enjoy the "walkability" of our neighborhood, and all the little eccentric shops...looks like others do too.
I don't remember exactly what we did the rest of the days, but here are some highlights. Grannie and Aunt Dana taught Ellie how to crochet which I think is amazing on everyone's part. It's hit or miss with Ellie and I in the patience realm...the stars, moon and planets all have to be aligned just right for the two of us to handle a session like learning to crochet. Grannie and Aunt Dana handled it with ease. When Ellie got frustrated (because seriously, who doesn't get frustrated when they learn a new skill??) they just let her be frustrated and get over it. Or they encouraged her to take a break and come back to it later. She really loved that time with them. Brant took everyone to Costco one day while Rhett and I stayed home and napped, and Rhett got his own special day with Nana too. Nana and Rhett walked Ellie to school and walked back up and picked her up from school on Tuesday, the last day everyone was here.
Saying goodbye is always the hardest part for Ellie. It's not so bad when we're leaving Arkansas, but it's TERRIBLE when people are leaving our house. Like the world may end at any moment type of terrible. Things have improved since she was 2 and 3, but it's still quite an ordeal. I've talked to other moms of kids Ellie's age and their kids don't seem to react so intensely. I could interpret that a lot of ways, but have decided to chalk it up to Ellie enjoying the time with her Nana and Mimi so much more than other kids do, that it's hard for her to say goodbye.
Until the next visit to San Diego! We loved having y'all!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment