Sunday, August 17, 2008

America's Finest City Half Marathon

Sorry Folks - once again - no pictures of Ellie for this post. We had a super full weekend...starting with Friday evening where Ellie, Ada, Sara and myself went to pick up our "race" packets for the America's Finest City half marathon. Brant took Daisy to dog park to get rid of some of her enery...never seems to be enough.
Saturday we spent the morning relaxing - Ellie didn't wake up until 8:15am. Or at least that's when we heard her calling "Mama!!! Pee-pee!!! Get it off!!!" So I went into her room and she was bear bottomed...no princess diaper, no pj's, no special socks (which is what she wears to bed now that she as outgrown her "meow slippers"). Her princess pullups had exploded - the innerds were all over the bed and Ellie was all curled up in a corner with her babies, protecting them from the nastiness. We fixed it all up and got a clean diaper on, then relaxed and watched "toons" (cartoons) until it was time for eggs, fruit and sourdough toast (Ellie's favorite breakfast ever). Then we showered and got ready for her photo shoot - Ellie got her pictures taken again by the lady at the local children's botique. The pictures should be ready by the time we get back from vacation. Saturday evening we met Brant at In-N-Out for hamburgers and then came home for the night.
This morning Sara and I headed out at 5am (ok - 5:10am since we're always about 10min late) and ran the America's Finest City half marathon from the Cabrillo National Monument (the start), though Point Loma, past the airport, to downtown and then up to Balboa Park to the finish. Sara got another of her personal best times...she's in ridiculous shape right now and really smoking these races (can you tell I'm jealous?) She might have to get a faster running partner! I made my goal time by almost a whole minute...I finished in 1:59:04. My goal time is usually 2:00 for a half marathon, although I often change it midrace if I'm doing really well. I did great this race for the first half (the race is downhill for the first 5 miles) then started struggling some when the sun came out full force and we had to face the black top around the airport. But nonetheless I finished strong and am proud of my time. There is always room for improvement...
Then we joined Sara, Aaron and Ada at Grant's (outdoor coffee place) for breakfast and coffee - the girls jumped around and bugged the rest of the patrons (which we all found hilarious - but still scolded them for...) We had a great time. Ellie came home and went down for a nap - I took a long hot bath and Brant took Daisy to the beach. Then we regrouped and headed out to shop for clothes for... James and DeAnna's wedding!!! We found out on Friday that Uncle James and Aunt DeAnna are getting married on Sunday the 24th of August - how lucky we are that we're going to be there for vacation already! We are super excited - Brant is going to stand by James in the wedding and Ellie has been asked to be the flower girl. We'll hope for the best - that she'll listen to the directions and do her best as a 2 year old flower girl. I'm sure she'll do perfect - she seems to listen to other people much better than she does to Momma...I guess that will be a lifetime theme...
OK - hope you all have a great week. We're heading to Arkansas for family vacation on Friday. Hope we either see you before we leave or while we're there!

No comments: