Thursday, November 18, 2010

A scripted life...


A scripted life is exactly what we're all living around here...at least when Ellie has her way. She is at a stage where she likes everything to be her idea, so if you suggest something and it's NOT her idea, she says (insert panicky voice here) "No - I was going to say that!!! Mommy! You can't say that - I was going to say that!" We go along with it some - we play a game where I suck the words back into my mouth and she thinks that's hilarious. Disclaimer** this is not always a good technique...sometimes she gets too carried away and we're back at square one with a whiny, bossy child and a frustrated parent!

Brant and I have books on child development at each age - I wasn't so prepared for 4 years old and didn't read the book in advance. Or even on time...she's 4 and a half and I'm trying to muddle through "Your 4 Year Old Child" while I nurse Rhett. These books are really helpful for us - they remind you of what to expect from your 4 year old and what their biggest struggles are. Also, and most importantly, they give great tips on how to steer your child the way you want them to go! So we've been playing a lot of silly games around here and low and behold - that seems to work! This may sound silly to the rest of you, but the silly games are hard work for me - I swear I was born without an imagination or silly gene! I think this is one of those times where I'm learning from my child...

The pictures in this post were taken a few weeks before Rhett was born by our favorite photographer, Sarah Albert. She is so talented, and Ellie (of course) loves to pose for her.

We're headed to Arkansas for Thanksgiving! It's been quite a while since we visited last and we have so many people to see - it's going to be an exciting trip! Plus, we'll be debuting a minivan, which may be in our future purchases!

1 comment:

Sara said...

I find that the phrase "terrible two" is misleading. Three and four are much more difficult ages for our family. I love Ellie's dress in those pictures! So pretty!