
After church Daddy had a surprise up his sleeve...he and Ellie went to lunch and then to a Razorback baseball game! The Hogs were playing at San Diego State so Brant and Ellie went to cheer them on. She had such a great time...and made sure to tell me she had a cookies n cream Cold Stone! Of course I was jealous!


Once they got home, I took the kids on a walk/bike ride. Ellie has really gotten to be quite good on her bicycle...probably close to ready to take the training wheels off. But since it was only Mommy this trip, we didn't tackle that. We had a lovely trip around the neighborhood, and she did a great job using her brakes. She likes to get going really fast, slam on her brakes, skid a little, then turn around and say "Wow - wasn't that cool?" She did a great job on all of the little hills, but the poor thing took an awful spill about 2 houses away from home. We were going down the last little hill...I kept saying "brake! brake! BRAKE!!!" Ellie was yelling "I'm trying! I can't!" I yelled "turn into the grass!" No such luck. Off the curb she went, right into the street, wobbled for a minute and then headed over the handle bars and onto the asphalt. I have NEVER felt so bad in my life (as a mother). I ran as fast as I could, but having Rhett strapped on is quite a hindrance. She took most of the fall on her hands, had a small scrape on her shoulder and a HUGE knot on her chin. Poor baby! Her bike seat was ripped up...I picked her up and carried her and the bike back to the house, which was quite a site... I inspected her wounds, ran her a warm bath, gave her Tylenol and then cleaned her chin and shoulder. She was totally fine except for the knot on her chin - which I imagine hurt like the dickens. At least I know it would have if it were me... The next day she had basically forgotten about her accident and wound. For memory's sake, here is a picture of her owie after her bath, and then 2 days later. It's still quite colorful today - six days later! Notice the smile she's trying to conceal... she was kinda proud of herself!


I have to say I surprised myself on this one...I'm the type of mom who normally says "you'll be fine - brush it off" and tries hard not to make a big deal out of scrapes and scratches. With Ellie, the bigger deal I make of something, the bigger deal SHE makes of it. So as soon as I see there aren't any broken bones or gushing blood, I minimize as much as possible. But this was different...I know kids get hurt and we've been lucky to not have had to visit the ER yet for wounds, and I know it may be different with Rhett. But seeing your baby's FACE hit the ASPHALT does something to the momma's heart. I kept saying "you poor baby! I'm so sorry!" Finally Brant took me aside and reminded me that she was fine...
No comments:
Post a Comment