Monday, February 18, 2008

Family Fun Weekend!



Wow - what a fun weekend we had! Here is a link to all of the pictures. We spent the whole time together as a family and haven't had that much fun in a long time! Saturday we got up and took a short family walk, exploring streets that we hadn't ventured onto and looking at homes in our neighborhood for sale. We're considering looking at buying a home and are just getting our feet wet looking at homes potentially in our price range. Once we got home we had to "divide and conquer" - Brant headed off to Home Depot for supplies for the backyard and Ellie and I headed to the playground. She had a great time playing with the other kids and was exhausted and ready for her nap when we got home. Mimi, Papa and Bella were here when she got up for a family BBQ. Uncle Bill came over and we hung out in the front yard, throwing a football (I have claimed the title as the best female football thrower in the family...nevermind the fact that I'm the only female in the family that is old enough to vote and under 35...) then we had hamburgers, fruit salad and beans for dinner. Mimi brought a delicious marble fudge cake and we enjoyed that with ice cream afterwards...Yum! After everyone left we got Ellie ready for bed and as we were reading to her I fell asleep before she did! Unbelievable - but thank goodness for Daddy who put her to bed with her babies.

Sunday we woke up and went on a super long family walk to look at more houses...an hour and a half went by before we realized it! We stopped at the playground before coming home and let Ellie run around for a while. She loves the slide... not so interested in the swings anymore but I think that's because she's confined in the swing and she is free to frolick and run around otherwise! While Ellie napped Brant and I got to work on the backyard. Daisy has our backyard looking like we've got a flock of pigs - she likes to lay in the mud and tear up the grass by the house where it doesn't dry out very well. Brant and I put in posts and a mesh fence to block her off of this area...needless to say Daisy wasn't happy about this. After another 2 trips to the hardware store it was all done just in time for Ellie to wake up from her nap! Perfect timing!

Monday morning we all woke up for yet another day together - thank goodness for President's Day! We had breakfast and loaded up the truck - off to Mission Trails for a family hike. Ellie wasn't a fan of riding in the backpack at first - she wanted to hike and walk with the rest of us like a big girl. She probably walked a full mile before she was tired enough to submit to riding in the backpack. Then of course Brant and I got a little too gung ho and tried to climb up a route called Climbers Trail... not that far in distance but what a vertical climb! Needless to say we're all beat tonight - Daisy included. We are sooooo lucky to live in a city where there are so many fun things to do outdoors for a family. We stopped at Einstein Brother's for a treat on the way home, and then it was time for Ellie's nap. I decided it was time to trim some of the ice plant in the backyard and replant it in the front planter box, which of course took much longer than planned. I was able to get in a 30minute nap before Ellie got up, which is better than nothing! Then we played out front before dinner - carnitas tacos...delicious! The crock pot is amazing - I just put a pork tenderloin in this morning with 2 cups of chicken broth and after 8 hours on low it was very tender and ready for tacos!

We had such a wonderful weekend together. Next weekend Ellie and I are headed up to Long Beach for a weekend with Mimi and Papa so Mimi and I can do the "Race at the Base" 5K walk(Mimi)/10K run(Danielle) on the Los Alamitos Military Base in Cypress. It's such a fun race for me because it's very flat - the fastest kind! Hope everyone has a great week!

Oh - I almost forgot to mention the hat in the picture on top of this posting...Ellie is the proud owner of a pink camouflage baseball cap! She loves it and wants to wear it all the time, along with her pink vest...(thanks Aunt Jill!)

love, danielle

No comments: