Saturday, October 1, 2011

Stuff I don't want to forget...

There is so much I don't want to forget about the kids being this age. The sweetness they share in the backseat of the car...the way Ellie LOVES making Rhett laugh hysterically...the questions Ellie asks - there are A LOT of these...listening to Brant explain football and which team is which and who we are rooting for to Ellie...Ellie "cooking" in her kitchen for us, serving us all iced tea and gumbo (recipe compliments of Princess Tiana)...the way she is SO EXCITED to hug her teacher each and every morning at school...Rhett waving backwards at himself when he hears "hi" or "bye bye"...Rhett's version of "bye bye" as "die die"...the way his face lights up when "zissy" walks into the room...the mischievous smile and shriek of laughter over his shoulder when we are chasing him down the hall...Rhett clapping and cheering at Ellie's soccer games...

I thought I wanted my kids to be closer in age than they were going to be. I fretted and worried about the age gap being too big, and them not having anything in common with each other until they are adults. And, once again, everything worked out just as it should. And for that I am grateful.

It's funny when kids will ask questions. This past week Ellie and I were at Trader Joe's, getting groceries, when she asks "if we don't eat healthy are we going to die? I mean I did eat that quesadilla at Chipotle last week and I know they're not super healthy and... is that what happens? people don't eat healthy and exercise and then they just, ya know, die? is Jesus and God a man? I mean I know they live in heaven, but are they real? Can we see them? Do you think they might be here or we might see them one day? Are they always together? Do you know what they look like?" At this point she actually has to breathe, so I can get a word in. I tell her I can show her pictures in our bible. She then says "don't you have any on your phone? I mean, Grandpa Bill is there, right? In heaven? With Jesus and God? Did he just take some on his phone and send them to you?" This is another one of those things I don't want to forget. The sweet innocence of a 5 year old, but a 5 year old who has grown up in the iPhone generation! And again, the reminder that 5 year olds think in black and white. All or nothing. Healthy or death. No in between.

No comments: