Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Mother's Day

I had the best Mother's Day this year. First, Brant planned a nice evening for the two of us at the San Diego Civic Theater to see Chicago. He heard me mention that I thought I'd like to see it, bought tickets, got a babysitter, and told me we were going. Best present!! We went on a Thursday night and it was a lovely way to break up the week. Rented binoculars at intermission (or "half time" as Ellie says)and got to see the performers up close. Christie Brinkley was one of the lead women - she is gorgeous! Yet another reason to love Mrs. Gentle (E's teacher) - she really played up Mother's Day in the classroom. Ellie came home telling Brant that they NEEDED to make me breakfast in bed and that he NEEDED to wake her up SUPER EARLY so they could get it to me before I woke up. Brant told me he was not waking anyone up early - that I had strict instructions to stay in bed at all costs. I awoke to fresh strawberries, steaming hot coffee and Ellie wearing an apron with a note pad and pen, ready to take my breakfast order! She asked me what I wanted, then told me she thought I'd like pancakes the best (which is her favorite), so she and Daddy headed off to make pancakes. They were interrupted by a hungry toddler who climbed into his high chair and demanded to be fed (by screeching at the top of his lungs)...it's the thought that counts.
Brant had taken the kids to buy me a present and Ellie found "candles on a rope". She just knew it would be my favorite!
And a handmade card from my big girl!
Couldn't decide what I wanted to do with the day ahead (I have that problem from time to time... :) ) so decided to just get ready and see what happened. First stop was the playground where we enjoyed Starbucks iced tea and chocolate chunk cookies!
Next stop was Costco - weird, some may say, but I love going to Costco. Love it. So many fun finds. After Costco we headed to an early dinner at Urban Plates, one of my new favorite restaurants. After a delicious dinner, we wandered over to get frozen yogurt and have a little fun in the fountain.
We drove home with two wet, tired kids...singing "Mr. Sun" to keep Rhett happy...after quick baths and dry jammies, the kids went to bed and I relaxed for the rest of the night. What a great Mother's Day - I felt very loved and appreciated.

1 comment:

Ana said...

Were you guys in Del Mar? We live just a few minutes from Urban Plates. We should definitely meet up there this summer for dinner, yogurt and fountains. Sounds like a blast!