Monday, July 5, 2010

Ellie's first trip to the fair!

Last Wednesday I took the day off of work and Ellie and I had a girls day. We headed to the San Diego County Fair, armed with tickets, camera and sunscreen galore.
The first thing we did when we got there was watch the piglet races. They were hilarious - these little piglets raced around a track, all vying for the oreo cookie at the end. Ellie enjoyed it, and she was a pro at calling the hogs. When the announcer asked the crowd to yell "Soo-ie!" Ellie was standing up, calling the hogs and the rest of the kids were looking at her like "how does she know what she's doing?" Well kids - she's had lots of practice with her daddy!
Next Ellie wanted to ride the ponies. I was pretty surprised...I remember wanting to ride horses, ponies or elephants when I was little...we would all wait in line, pay the money, and then as soon as I would get up on the animal, I would flip out! I didn't like it when they shifted their weight, or whinnied...I was such a wuss! Ellie was a champ. We paid, waited in line and I kept asking her "are you sure you want to get on the pony?" She kept saying yes, getting more and more excited as we neared the front of the line. As you can see - she thoroughly enjoyed herself!


Wednesdays at the fair are pay one price ride days, so Ellie got a wrist band and could ride all the rides she wanted in Kiddie Land. I was a little leery before we went, wondering if my 4 year old was really old enough to enjoy enough of the rides to make the trip worthwhile. Boy...what a silly thing to worry about! She is fearless! You have to be 42" tall in Kiddie Land to ride everything by yourself, and Ellie made the mark by the skin of her teeth...she is currently 43 1/2" tall. Her favorite were the carousel, the roller coasters, and most importantly...the HUGE slides! Here are some pictures of her adventures...



OK - notice on this next picture that Ellie has a huge line of kids waiting patiently behind her...in order to get up to the big slide, the kids had to get across a really wobbly, shaky bridge. Ellie made it, but she cautiously took her time - not caring that the world was waiting! And the other kids were so patient and helpful...not pushing or yelling at her.









These next 2 pictures are of the biggest slide at the fair. Adults were even sliding down it! It's the kind where you have to haul your own gunny sack up about 5 flights of stairs, then you get the thrill of your life. The smile on her face when she finished was priceless!


Ellie also enjoyed plenty of fair food...we had corn dogs, fresh squeezed lemonade, funnel cake, ice cream and kettle corn. Needless to say, our stomach's took several days to readjust from the trauma!


We were sad Daddy had to work, but grateful for the fun Mommy&Ellie day we had. I hadn't been to this fair since I was in college...I remember being there and watching parents schlep from standing and watching their kids on one ride to the next and thinking "that must be soooo boring for the parents. I mean - they're not even getting to have ANY fun. They have to just watch. I'm never going to do that." Well - just more words that I've eaten since having Ellie. I had the best time "just watching" her have the time of her life. Watching her start out a little timid, but acting brave, then the victorious smile of completing something that was a little scary. She would run off the rides, jump up and down in place about five times, then say "which one can we go on next?" She also said a number of times "I can't wait to tell Ada...she's just not going to believe this!"
Can't wait until next year - hopefully Daddy can come and hold the little brother so I can ride with Ellie instead of "just watching"!

No comments: