Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mother's Day 2011

Wow - what happened? Where did the time go? Mother's Day came and went and I forgot to post...eek!!! Well, the weekend started off with Rhett and I heading out to Hemet for "one last look" at the things in my grandparents house. Mimi is ready to be DONE with the pool house. And I don't blame her - it needs work, upkeep and quite frankly isn't anywhere where anyone wants to live or visit. But it's full of stuff. Chock full of trinkets, doilies, flowered furniture, frilly lampshades and... memories. So full of memories. I sure do miss my grandparents - especially my Grandma Joanne. She was really the only grandmother I knew, as my dad's mom passed when I was young. And boy, did Grandma Joanne have a way of making her grandkids feel special. Just walking back into that house I can hear her calling me "punkin" and smell her perfume. I am of the belief that a house is just a shell, it's the people and the memories that make it a home. And as much as we all dread going out to Hemet, I know I, for one, will miss having a place to go visit all of those memories.

So - Rhett was a trooper and slept most of the way to Hemet. He then bounced in his jumper and played in his high chair while Mimi and I went through Grandma's treasures. I came home with some kitchen additions, as well as my own keepsakes from childhood. We've got a box of old dance recital videos to keep us entertained for quite a good while. Next time y'all are out here visiting, maybe we'll even let you watch...for a small fee!

Sunday was Mother's Day...and honestly - we had such a good time that we didn't even take pictures. I'm a little baffled myself. For breakfast I made smoothies while Brant ran to the store and got us donuts. I LOVE donuts. Chocolate cake donuts with frosting. I can take or leave sprinkles. What a treat - we normally only get donuts if we have a garage sale! So - coffee and donuts, and smoothies of course. More relaxing...then we loaded up and took a nice walk in the neighborhood - and found ourselves at Grant's for bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches. Yes, I know we just ate breakfast, but we were hungry again. It's not like donuts are filling. Ellie rode her Razor, despite many protests. She was scared that she was going to go too fast and fall...we encouraged her and told her we would carry it for her when we went downhill. She did a great job, and I think she built a lot more confidence! Came back home, put Rhett down for a nap and turned on The Wizard of Oz. Brant fell asleep on the couch within minutes. I made it until the tornado started, and dozed off, snuggling with Ellie. And of course, Ellie stayed awake through the whole thing. That kid doesn't miss a beat! Next it was time to walk to the Station and have burgers for dinner... As you can see, it was a wonderfully relaxing day and I was treated to no cooking or other chores. Felt fantastic. Too much eating, but that's not really a complaint!

No comments: