Sunday, May 1, 2011

the skinny on Easter

I just re-read my post on Easter...it's seriously lacking commentary. That's what happens when I try to post at 10pm on Thursday/Friday nights...

So, let me fill in the blank spots... Mimi and Papa came down on Saturday afternoon, and we all enjoyed El Zarape for dinner. Poor Brant was sick with a nasty respiratory infection that it seemed like everyone at work had, so he went straight to bed as soon as soon as the kids were in bed. Then, the Easter Bunny set to work! I was super excited to fill plastic eggs with jelly beans and money (pennies!). And as usual, my eyes were much bigger than my stomach. I mean really, what 5 year old needs a whole house full of plastic eggs, plus 2 bags of foil chocolate eggs to find? Plus a clue by clue hunt to the Easter baskets? But I had my mind made up...fast forward to 11:30pm when I finally finished... but it was worth it to see how excited Ellie was on Easter morning!

Church was great, Rhett was a good boy in the sanctuary. He laid on our laps and was actually quiet! Usually I wind up in the "infant room" because Rhett likes to talk, but he was a quiet boy on Easter.

Back home, changed into comfy clothes...this is really the first Easter I've cooked. A few years ago we hosted Easter but we had grilled salmon, so not really a traditional Easter dinner. That's the thing...I don't like traditional Easter food. I mean if I'm coming to YOUR house and YOU'RE doing the cooking - I'm certainly not going to complain! But if I'm going to be doing the cooking...I'm just not a fan of ham, not a potato salad lover, deviled eggs take WAY TOO LONG to make...lucky for me Billy doesn't like ham either. He calls it "salty meat". So we had a lovely compromise...Mimi brought honey baked ham and turkey. I wanted to make some healthy side dishes, but to keep the masses happy I also made mashed potatoes. So we wound up with roasted broccoli and brussel sprouts (this is my new favorite veggie dish. SO GOOD!), mashed potatoes, wheat berry salad and rolls. I made a disclaimer before the meal started, that no one was going to hurt my feelings by not trying or liking the veggies or the wheat berry salad...and boy were the guys glad. We'd already had a veggie tray to snack on (compliments of Uncle Bill - he chopped up his own veggies!) so no one was going to have a vitamin deficiency. The wheat berry salad was good, the brussel sprouts and broccoli were delicious (according to me only). Maybe we'll have to come up with a new meal for Easter...I just can't convince myself to stand in the kitchen for hours to make stuff that A) is bad for you and B) I don't like!

Mimi made a delicious bunny cake, Uncle Bill brought yummy ice cream and we enjoyed the rest of the day together.

No comments: